Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Long Awaited Update

Sorry that it has been about a week since I have posted anything. I have been learning and growing and working so much. Since you last heard from me I have experienced my first project day, worked about 49 hours and grown closer to God and many friends. It is amazing what a week can teach you, and I still have 9 more to go!!!

My first project day was last Wednesday. We woke up at 8am and were given time to spend in the Bible and with the Lord. After this we got closer to our "project groups" which will be the group I will be doing most of my service with this summer. We then had time for lunch & attended 3 workshops on how to start a spiritual conversation, how to share our story, and how to tell someone about Jesus. We got time to practice some of these techniques later when we were taken to the boardwalk and instructed to talk to strangers. Also on this day we were assigned "life groups" which are groups of about 5 other people of your same gender who talk about what is going on here and in our walks with God. I am very excited for more project days to come and much more to learn and experience.

Along with this me and my good friend, Becca, were appointed as food managers in our condo. This means that we go out every week and buy the food for 7 girls with an allotted amount of money. This is something that we really enjoy and I'm very glad that we were given this opportunity. We have already met quite of the few Kroger employees and are excited to potentially get the chance to share Jesus with them this summer. Please be praying for that opportunity.

My job is waitressing at a restaurant called The Square Whale that is located in the Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach here in VB. I have a crazy work schedule and this weekend alone worked more than 30 hours. I am LOVING my job though, and couldn't possibly ask for anything better. My co-workers (both other LT students, and VB residents) are amazing and I can't wait to get to know them better. It is tiring and tough work, but I am really enjoying it!

Lastly, every Monday and Thursday night we are given a message from a speaker. Those are our "church" messages since on Sundays most of us have to work. I have learned so many different things already. Right now we are focusing specifically on the gospel and what it is to us. The gospel is so complex and such a hard concept to grasp sometimes, but I have really been challenged by the idea that the gospel is not something we "graduate" from. It is not a rite of passage. It is more something that we have to remind ourselves of every day. That is something big I have been learning. Also, I have been learning how to fall in love with Jesus all over and in a whole new way. I am trying to make God less "useful" and more "beautiful". God is amazing and there are so many ways that we can experience His beauty daily and be in awe of Him. Sometimes when you are comfortable (or old) in your faith, you forget those feelings of awe or they become rarer. I am beginning to try to experience that every day. Those are only a few of the things I have been learning here.

I love my housemates and they are amazing girls. I have grown closer to them faster than I have most people in my life. We have become so open with each other about our sins, our worries & our hopes. I feel as if I know them and they know me on such a deep level even after a week. It is so refreshing and great to be here. I already don't want it to end.

Here are some pictures of some experiences here:

Friends

The whole LT clan on the boardwalk

No comments:

Post a Comment